How to protect yourself this Holi – Skin Edition
With Holi just around the corner, everyone’s definitely going crazy about playing with colours. The water balloons have already started flying around, fast and furious. While every year everyone makes a great resolution to play with safe non toxic colours, there’s always that one friend who manages to sneak in some random silver colour and smear it all out. What follows is mostly some break outs or redness. Here’s how to deal with random colours, and keep your skin looking baby fresh!
- Try to avoid exfoliating your skin a couple of days prior to Holi. Exfoliation brings out the smoother skin, by getting rid of the top layer. This second layer is slightly tender, so you might end up getting more rashed up because of exfoliation.
- A couple of nights before Holi, ply your skin with some good oils. Almond, olive, coconut, take your pick. Gently massage your face with oil before you sleep.
- On the day of Holi, keep yourself hydrated. Not just with bhaang but with water and juices.
- Apply a good sun screen and follow it up with oil or vaseline.
- Wear sunglasses to protect your eyes. It looks stylish and keeps you safe! Win win over here.
- Paint your nails a dark colour, and apply a good amount of Vaseline on your nails.
- As far as possible wear full sleeved tees or kurtis as these help to reduce the amount of colour that falls on your skin.
- Along with your face, don’t forget to protect your neck and ears too.
- Once the celebrations are done, wash your face lightly before showering.
- Try and take a warm shower, not too scalding, but a warm nice shower.
- Use cleansing milk on the exposed parts of your face and body. Alternatively, use fresh cream (malai) and massage it. Once the colour begins to fade, wipe it off with a damp cotton or tissue.
- You could also warm some oil and massage your face with it and remove the colour.
- Don’t exfoliate just yet. Wait for a day to bleach or exfoliate your face and body.
- Wash your face a couple of times with a mild soap or cleanser.
- Immediately after a shower, apply a thick moisturizer as this entire scrubbing and cleaning process takes away much of moisture from the skin.
- Clean out your ears gently with buds.
- Drink a lot of water and stay hydrated
Watch out for the next post about how to protect your hair this Holi! Stay Safe